• Living area of 90 m²
• Renovated in 2009
• 2 Bedrooms, 1 bathroom
• Original water tank converted to plunge pool
This traditional stone-built cottage is located in a small hillside hamlet a 15-minute drive from Santa Catarina da Fonte do Bispo. The road is very scenic, offering views of the surrounding hills and, occasionally, the coastal plain and the sea.
The cottage is set back from and slightly above the village road. A path paved with traditional calçadas (cobbles) leads up from the entrance to the south-facing conservatory. The large, sliding windows offer views to the front garden with its mature trees and the countryside beyond. While this room is bright and spacious, the use of traditional Santa Catarina floor tiles, the original stone window surrounds and partly exposed brickwork on the wall lend it the warmth of a traditional country cottage.
A door leads from the conservatory into the kitchen which combines modern fittings and traditional features such as the original chimney breast above the stove, wooden roof beams and patterned tiles used for the splashback. From the kitchen you reach the dining area and the living room with its exposed brickwork. A wood stove provides warmth in the winter months. Further on are the two bedrooms, both with practical mezzanine platforms which can be used either for sleeping or storage.
At the side and back of the house is a garden with bougainvillea and mature trees. The original water tank has been converted into a plunge pool, offering the opportunity to cool down in hot weather.
Amenities• Beautiful country views
• Traditional features incl. exposed brick walls
• Floors paved partially with Santa Catarina tiles
• Country house kitchen with wooden worktops
• Solar panels for hot water
• Borehole and cistern
• Septic tank
• Mains electricity, phone/internet and satellite TV
Location• Peaceful hillside location with fabulous country views
• 4 km to a traditional restaurant with fantastic sea views
• 9 km to the shops and cafés in Santa Catarina da Fonte do Bispo
• A 30-minute drive to Olhão
• A 35-minute drive to Tavira and the beach
• A 45-minute drive to Faro international airport