It picked up the gong for Best Tourism Destination in the World at a World Travel Awards (WTA) ceremony on Thursday in Oman. Portugal also scooped 10 other awards: Best Hotel, Best Resort, Best Airline and Best Cruise Port among them.
Despite fierce competition, Portugal beat countries like Brazil, Cost Rica, Greece, Jamaica, the Maldives and Sri Lanka.
This distinction “once again confirms that Portugal is the best tourism destination in the world. It is an honour to receive this award that distinguishes the excellence of Portugal and the Portuguese and raises the bar” said the Secretary of State for Tourism, Rita Marques in a communiqué.
“All of us must continue to work in reinforcing this International affirmation that Portugal has won” added Rita Marques.
Portugal won the award in 2016 and 2017 – the first European country to receive this distinction. Among the other awards Portugal won were:
• Lisbon – Best City Break in the World
• Madeira – Best Island Destination in the World
• TAP – Best Airline to Fly to Africa and South America
• TAP – Best Inflight Magazine (UP Magazine)
• Olissippo Lapa Palace Hotel – Best Classic Hotel in the World
• Dunas Douradas Beach Club (Almancil) – Best Golf & Villa Resort in the World
• Amazing Evolution Management – Best Boutique Hotel Operator in the World
• Passadiços do Paiva – Best Adventure Tourism Attraction in the World
• Parques de Sintra – Monte da Lua – Best Leader Conservation Company in the World
• Turismo de Portugal – Best Official Tourism Organisation in the World