Your Property Specialists

Visa options for Non-Europeans in short

From tourist visa, D7 Visa or Golden Visa, what's the best solution for you?
Here is an easy guide for Non-European citizens to travel and stay in Portugal.

Monday, 14 June 2021 - Golden Visa

Non-EU/EFTA nationals who would like to stay in Portugal for less than three months will need a visa unless their country has an agreement with Portugal. Currently, 61 countries have agreements in place and their citizens don’t need a visa for short stays. These include Australia, Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Please look at the sources for more details.


You are a Non-Resident in Portugal:

1. If you wish to visit the Algarve longer or as a businessperson, for house hunting, you need to apply for a Schengen Visa in your home country at the embassy or consulate or in any Schengen country representing Portugal. Please check conditions.


2. If you prefer to stay longer you can apply for a D7 Visa and residence permit which allows you to stay for up to 4 months. Suitable for retirees and entrepreneurs regardless of age. You need to prove a passive income of the current minimum wage in Portugal for the first applicant and 50 % of that amount for a partner or parents plus 30 % for each child. The income can come from rentals, retirement, dividends, or investment. You need to have a ‘residence’ in the Algarve, either a rental with a contract or owned. After the first period of 120 days an applicant can obtain a residence permit for 1 year which can be renewed every 2 years. After 5 years it is possible to apply for permanent residency. You can travel throughout the Schengen territories. This program has relevant minimum stay requirements (please get more detailed information with your lawyer.) The D7 Visa is compliant with the Non-Habitual Tax Regime and is meant for Non-Europeans who are self-sufficient. Further conditions, time compliances and application forms are available on SEF website, the Portuguese consulate or via a law company. See sources.


3.  If you would like to buy and stay in Portugal for a much longer time and wish to travel throughout the European Schengen visa zone, the “Golden Visa Ticket” is the best for you and your family. In addition, you can achieve a residence permit within 5 years, however it has substantial administrative and tax costs. Please check the conditions and time compliances with your lawyer, tax advisor and SEF (The Portuguese Immigration & Borders Service) and an established real estate agency like Togofor Homes.



Portugal immigration guide: visas and residency permits | Expatica

Extending Stay/Visa – The Official Website of Portuguese Immigration (

Who needs a visa - General information - Short Stay Visas (Schengen) - Visa (

Schengen Visa: Requirements and Elegible Schengen Countries (


Please also check our general article about the Golden Visa Program on this link:


Recommended Tax Advisors - Real Estate, Taxation, Exchange Currency | TOGOFOR-HOMES